Thursday, May 3, 2007

Earth to Phoebe

"Earth to Phoebe, Earth to Phoebe. Come in, Phoebe!"

Still phoeling like i've been dislocated from all my joints. Floating almost. Right now, my feet and rear seem to respond to my brain-impulses as well as a stubborn mule to a farmer. But I'm not a miserable wretch.

Really.

Before you commence a session of assumption, NO - i am not in the state of denial. What i feel now is hard to explain. i feel contented yet dissatisfied, i feel great yet i ache everywhere. Some people (men, i suppose) might associate this to a night after gym....or somewhere around those lines.

They could be right.

I was up north for a couple of days in Butterworth, just hanging out with the outreach folks and having fun. A sort of camp, but not really. I was really looking forward to it as I was told we'd be taken to a dam on Tuesday. The Mengkuang Dam had been worked into a tourist spot but few people had come to know of it and it was ideal for an outing on a public holiday. (And this meant, minus: traffic jams, lack of parking spaces, oxygen-tanks to breathe, suffocation) I bundled my bed onto the backseat, shoved some clothes into a silver backpack and was all smiles as we left.

The folks had work on Monday, so the sessions were to begin Monday night onwards. We stayed back after sunday evening, so that dad wouldn't have to drive so much. Of course if we were calculative, it would save much on petrol and on the toll as well.

Hence, to pass the time, we had a shopping session (which i thoroughly disliked with great intensity), as my family was required to walk around together (according to the jurisdiction of parental order), and i just wound up being shifted aimlessly about. We walked all over the building from 11.30a.m. to 7-ish in the evening. Needless to say, i couldn't feel my legs when we finally got back to our lovely blue outreach center that night.

But the bible study and prayer hour we had after, was awesome. I was so glad for it. It was refreshing to be able to just focus on what matters, and just cherish God for being God. I slept unbelievably well that night and the following day, rose early to go to the dam. It was a wonderful walk. They had made walking pathways halfway up a hill by the dam (or lake, if you will) and the sights were gorgeous. I walked by the bank and could even see schools of fish in the shallow areas. I abused my dad's camera-phone extensively that day. Hope to bluetooth the pictures over soon.

After our walk, we rested and hydrated ourselves under a quaint shack-shade. We played indoor games first, I taught them a phoebefied TABOO, (as not many were as great at english) with simpler terms and objects; charades and etc. We had lunch for a bit before continuing with football, badminton and finally volleyball.

A half an hour after bidding farewell to the Mengkuang Dam, we found ourselves in the hot, hot, hot town of Bukit Mertajam. Things were dirt cheap there. I bought myself a pair of good white canvas shoes, for diabolical art purposes, for only RM 3.00 there! (That's less than a USD$ 1, and almost an AUD$ 1 to you foreign wimps!)

Uhh....just a sec.

*flips dictionary madly, looking up the word, "wimp"*

Uh-oh.

Let's try that again: That's less than USD$ 1 and almost an AUD$ 1 to you foreign winn-ers! *nervous laugh*

Later, we went to hydrate ourselves at a stall, known for its tasty, authentic soya bean and coconut milk. Drinking ourselves to intoxication, we then left for tea at Aunty G's. Yes, for more hydration sessions! You have to understand, it was SO HOT - i couldn't think, breathe OR sleep it off! I took a cold bath there, as i could've sworn i felt a bit of my brains spilling out my ear. Then, it was off to the center for a second session of bible study and prayer. Another awesome night of meeting with God.

The following day, we began our day visitting some showhouses of upcoming condomoniums. And i loved the internal decorating! *laughs* I know we're just there to look at the spaces, but they had truly deocrated it so well, that you simply couldn't overlook the furniture. Otherwise, the spaces were the usual normalcy of other living spaces.

We headed to Giant, after much ogling at painted walls and well-tiled floors. Mum wanted to do some marketing. So, i pushed the trolly around and weighed things for her, like the obeisant lovely that i was. With that over, we arrived back at good ole' Taiping.

And just in time for American Idol, too.
(The wows for me this week were Melinda and Blake. Awesome singers and performers.)

This morning, i woke up with aches all over my body, but a huge smile was plastered on my face. I had really needed this getaway. I was almost suffering from claustrophobia, just idling my mind away to the pits of frustration. God knew I needed this bad. *smiles* And I am so grateful for the time spent in butterworth. It was great just getting to know our folks over there, slowing down from the pace of my everyday duties, switching to another routine, looking at other walls beside the ones at home, and staring at a different sky. A darling package, really.

Absolute darling.

I'm back to doing church accounts and other clerical crimes (or whatnots) today, but i'm doing fine.

Are you?

Disclaimer: "foreign wimps" was just a mild way of teasing my MALAYSIAN pals and buddies who are currently studying overseas as i type this. if you are indeed "foreign" - you can be rest assured that i was not referring to you or your kind. *chuckles* Have a great week!

No comments: