Monday, April 16, 2007

The Backyardigans

Yes, I can proudly say that i watch Nickelodeon. For a quick 30 minutes of my morning, i try my level hardest to catch (on the Nick Jr. Segment) a lovely 3d animated cartoon called, "The Backyardigans". It's my latest craze after Bear in the Big Blue House of Disney Channel! (but that's saved for another post! *chuckles*)

The Backyardigans is an awesome kid's show! The characters are perfectly adorable: Uniqua the Ladybug, Pablo the Penguin, Tyrone the Moose, Tasha the Hippo, and Austin the Kangaroo. There is no question that the bright colors the animals and settings are in, are one of the very many reasons that get kids to stay glued to their seat (or off it!) whenever the show comes on. I know it has the same effect on my little brother. Heck, it has the same effect on me!

But it isn't just the myriad of colors, the voices or even their adorableness that get me; it's their songs! That's what reels me in. The songwriters have done a superb job at innovating or even writing original stuff for each episode. The genres are different for each storyline: Polka, Reggae, Pop, Classic Rock, Rap, Opera, etc. Very coo.

They also have interesting themes and story plots, all packaged to attract. The animals are in a setting where they all live in the same neighborhood, play roles that suit their personalities, wander around in their elaborate imaginations, and then it ends with snack time. They've done pirates, polka musicians, yeti hunters, samurai pie makers, ninjas, ice/snow obsession, secret agent/spies, monarchies, etc.

Oh, and one more thing. Man, can those things dance! No, i'm not talking about a casual "sway to the beat" deal. They have detailed choreography. DETAILED. From ballroom dancing to ninja/samurai routines to contemporary moves. They've tried almost everything, if not all. A brilliant, brilliant show.

What I love about this show is how much it reminds me of my siblings and I, when we were little tots. We used to play a lot in our huge yard and imagine typhoons, if need be! *chuckles* Kids hardly play like we did nowadays!

Haha. I suppose i've raved about them enough to make anyone tired. I'll say my goodbyes now, the Backyardigan way:

"We've got the whole wide world in our yard to explore,
Now it's time for us to have a snack
Meet you next time when you're back with your friends, The Backyardigans!"


Picture sources:
http://blog.tystoybox.com/category/the-backyardigans/
http://www.nobody-knows-anything.com/2004/12/the_backyardigans.html http://www.rhapsody.com/thebackyardigans

2 comments:

carefreechicadee said...

I must commend you on your amazing tastes. I couldn't agree with you more in every aspect of the show, and even wrote a persuavsive paper about The Backyardigans for my English paper. I often play it while doing homework, and the girls in the dorm and I have spent a Saturday or two just watching it. I have to admit, I don't think Uniqua is a ladybug. I'm not sure she's supposed to be anything besides unique. But amazing post.

Powerpuff Guy said...

I love that penguin, moose, thing, hippo and kangaroo!