Sunday, June 3, 2007

Retreat, Soldiers, RETREAT!!

Unfinished and always will be. *smiles*

"O God, let us be
a Generation that seeks
That seeks your face
O God of Jacob"

I'm killing myself for words here.

Don't get me wrong. The PK Retreat in Genting Highlands was nothing short of glorious. But the string of vocabulary I'm coming up with don't seem to quite add up to the imprint the getaway left on me. It's like getting stabbed with a dagger and then weeks later, poking your mamaking-kakis in the side with your finger to let them know how that dagger felt.

If that made any sense.

I have no day to day accounts of the experience (sorry to disappoint), hugely caused by my weak excuse for memory power. But I'm sure you'd be most content with the little i have to offer you. I distinctly remember vacuumed moments in worship, when everybody disappeared. when all i saw was him. I remember moments when i reached out my left arm as high as it could go and felt him grasp my fingers. I remember holding to him tight whilst clutching my heart, hardly able to contain whatever that was bursting out of it.

I met him. But my experience was not exceptional. Many of the like-minded met him too. And i'm just so excited to be a part of this experience; to be part of the group that met him.

"You have turned
my mourning into dancing
You have turned
my sorrow into joy"

I do remember madness on the first night though. I remember running for my life. Yelling a string of inaudibles and admitting to major lack of stamina. Earned a lovely carpet-graze on my right knee.

It looks more revolting now, actually. I have septic slime oozing out of it.

Joash had an opportunity to worship lead, the morning of the third day, but he came up to me the second night and asked if i'd like to. I was quite surprised actually and even asked him if he was sure. The whole thing was quite a challenge as we had a bunch of rookie musicians; but honest to goodness, rookies who were all ready to learn and who did exceptionally well! I couldn't have asked for a better group. Everyone remained in good spirits and we practiced till 1:3o-ish that morning, i believe.

Whilst practicing, I made poor Jewls, Joel and Paul-o play invisible instruments; grabbed Jonan, Phile and Kenrick Kong to sing harmonies, and Mikha was handling the accoustic guitar. I don't think i speak for myself when i say we enjoyed every diminutive minute of practice! It was awesome! There were some folks who came to join us that night, so it became a good night of fellowship too.

I remember asking Joash for advice earlier that night, as i was quite nervous when the musicians told me they weren't familiar with many of the songs i had in mind. He had this calmness about him that really helps soothe the panicking soul. He said, "There's no need to do six songs, no need to conform. Four's good." Asked him for his opinion about some songs that I finally chose and got his nod of approval.

Jonan and Kenrick were a great asset to me as they really helped in terms of smoothening out creases in the technicalities. Chords, timing and backup melodies. They were also just downright great company! There should have been more microphones! One for each! Don't you agree?

All in all, I believe God truly took the helm from us that morning and steered it the way he wanted it to go.

Aside that, I enjoyed the meal times! It became the most exciting part of the day, no doubt for its network-expansion possibilities, but also it was thrilling to meet so many expectant faces. Faces that were eager to meet God, faces that held stories behind them, faces that weren't mere faces - but containers of passion and potential.

I mean, who can fathom the depth of our capacity? Capacity to play PICTIONARY all night long, for instance!

We stayed up till 5 a.m., completing the attempt to end the game. Good times, good times. I doubt i'm very hooked up to pictionary yet though. I'm still a hopeless fanatic of TABOO.

"Give us clean hands
Give us pure hearts
Let us not lift our souls to another"

Personally, i treasured the moments i spent with God. I had a lot of things to let go of, and surrendered them to him one by one. At each opportunity i got. Tore it away from my flesh. And it hurt. Madly. but he was there. and i knew i was safe.

PKs sure do rock! Hope to once again be able to gather with such an awesome bunch of people, to participate in such an amazing experience, and to have many more meets with such an indescribable God!

"Amazing Love, I know it's true
'Cause it's my joy to honor you
In all I do, I'll honor you"


(Images courtesy of Shua and Michel)

2 comments:

John's Universe said...

Heya Phoebe!

It's John. Ok, I found you. I love your Blogs. You have some really great thoughts, and an unique way of putting forth your ideas. You should think about a career as a writer, or something along those lines. This comes from a graduate from one of America's finest University English programs. Keep up the good work!

God Bless!

nothing of interest here said...

Thanks John! I don't know how you found this, but thanks for the supportive feedback and for the dropby. Writing is definitely part of the plan. *chuckles* God bless!