Monday, June 11, 2007

My Friend In Time Of Need

It all began with a sneeze in the evening. Caused by a speck of dust mayhaps. Having acute sinus issues, one sneeze was enough to hand me a one-way ticket to a sneezing fit. Seven sneezes in a row was the most i counted. Gah.

My sinuses weren't that hard to deal with. I've had it ever since i can remember. But what i disliked most about having sinuses was what entailed it. Sinuses leave my immune system in battered condition, and prone to other vices. Namely, Influenza. *shudder*

There has got to be an easier way to fight off Influenza.

Needless to say, I was still up with a drippy nose at four in the morning. Not unlike a broken tap. For Phoebe, this was a very BAD thing. My body was under siege! Much blood from my valiant white cells was being spilled. I could almost feel the viruses battering the gates of my fort. My empire was under attack and all i could ever do was wait it out. Unfortunate for me, we lost the battle and the country of Phoebe was conquered.

And so there I was, sitting in my bed - prepped up against the wall, miserable. I had a splitting headache, my body ached everywhere and i couldn't breathe through my nose. Going back to sleep wasn't exactly an easy task, but i eventually did anyway. With my mouth wide open. At least I think it was wide open.

Three hours later, Influenza reigned supreme. I began my day with a horrendous sore throat and though my nose wasn't drippy anymore, it was in a state, nothing short of disgusting. Then the inevitable happened. My throat began to spew out contemptuous things from the very pits of hell. This was going to be a lovely week, I thought.

Trudging to my desk, I saw him. "Vic, what are you doing here?" I exclaimed, eyes lighting up. He was quiet as always. I walked over to him, held him and smiled. "Here to brighten my day, are you?"

Removing what covered his body, I brought him closer to me; to breathe him all in. Good ole' Vicks has never failed me when it came to clearing my stuffed up nose. Which is why this post is dedicated to the ultimate flu-buddy, the Vicks Vapor Inhaler. Live forever! (Or at the most, three years.)

This little inhaler holds about 0.5ml of product, and costs only two to three dollars. It lasts for quite a period - just as long as you keep it closed after utilizing it. It's fairly easy to use, just unscrew its long cap, close one nostril and put the tube at the entrance of the open nostril. Take a whiff or two (take as many as necessary) and then repeat with the other nostril. You'll feel a cold rush up your nostrils and down the back of your throat. You'll be able to breathe through your nose again in no time.

Before inhalers, i'm sure most of you have probably heard of the Vicks Vaporub. The one that comes in a little jar-like bottle full of cream? Well, unlike its predecessor, the Inhaler keeps the powerful smell of menthol and camphor for you and you alone. No matter how often you snort it. *chuckles* You won't reek of Vicks wherever you go, like many other remedies.

I'm still suffering post-influenza. Coughing up things in colors i never knew existed, things that i could never give a justified description for. But thanks to my Vicks Vapor Inhaler, I'm a little less miserable and a little more productive today.

Picture Sources:
http://www.herbsforhealth.com/index.php?page=article&do=view&id=cold
http://www.magazine.ucla.edu/features/flu-fighters
http://www.fotosearch.com/illustration/sleepy.html
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/health-products/vicks-vapor-inhaler/1027697

2 comments:

Sasi a.k.a Saz said...

yeah i have sinus too - but it i think it`s gone now :)

you should take green tea or sumthing to strengthen you body to ward of sinus forever

nothing of interest here said...

Haha, thanks for the advice, Sasi. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks a bunch for dropping by!