Monday, June 18, 2007

The Slide

Remember your first slide? The excitement, the adrenaline rushes, the wind in your face, the tingly feeling you get in your toes, the imagination?

If i were to make you get into one now, at the very age you are right this very second, what would you feel? Well, straight off the edge of my mind, I'd feel:

a) AWKWARD at first. very. (honestly, a twenty one year old? climbing up a slide? who wouldn't feel that way?)
b) growing EXCITEMENT. the type you thought you'd forgotten. (sitting at the edge of the slide now. looking around, nervous and awkward.)
c) the nostalgic JOY i felt as a kid. (going down the slide. hands in the air now. adrenaline rush.)

I'd given up something I'd wanted awhile ago. And just when i thought i'd outgrown the idea, just when i've managed to convince myself that it was a stupid and superficial dream in the first place, it comes back to me - served on a silver platter.

I felt most awkward. It didn't make sense to me. But then, just for a brief "slide" moment, i had this sense of growing excitement. Everyone who has ever asked me about this dream never got a positive answer from me before! I would now have an awesome, jawdropping response to any future queries! In that split second of nostalgic joy, i felt like i could rule the world!

But it lasted for just that. A shortlived split moment. I'm being offered one of the things i'd always wanted as a child! I'm supposed to be stupefied. Amazed. Excited. So, why don't I seem to want it as much anymore?

Why do i feel like i've outgrown it?

Picture Source:
http://opkansas.org/Media_Room/Photos/artGallery.cfm?ImageNumber=173

No comments: